Every small business in the world is looking forward to progress. One of the best ways to do this is through the online world. Because most people have moved towards online shopping. The overall trend of online shopping is going to increase. Which makes eCommerce stores an essential part of your business’s development strategy. If you are in a hurry and just want our top selection, then we have find the best ecommerce platforms for small business from our research.
There is a difficult number of e-commerce platforms to start and choose during your online business. Some research is best for your startup or business. To help you with this decision, we are comparing 7 of the best eCommerce platforms for small business and startups.
Table of Contents
What is eCommerce?
An eCommerce platform is a software application that allows online businesses to manage their website, sales, and operations.
E-commerce (EC), an abbreviation for electronic commerce, the purchase, and sale of goods and services, or transmissions of money or data, is primarily on the Internet.
E-commerce software provides a front-end component of online business to the customer. For instance, online businesses, like all other businesses. It has extra software is required to manage back-end tasks like accounting, order management, inventory management, and customer service. E-commerce’s popularity has increased significantly in the past few decades, and in this way, it is replacing traditional brick and mortar stores.
While most people consider eCommerce to be a business to consumer (B2C). There are many other types of eCommerce like online auction sites, internet banking, online tickets and also reservations, and business to business (B2B) transactions. Recently, the growth of e-commerce has been expanded using mobile devices. Which is commonly known as ‘m-commerce’ and is only a subset of eCommerce?
Why eCommerce platform is popular?
Why have eCommerce seen explosive growth over the last decade? As the internet is becoming involved in our daily lives. The acceptance of e-commerce is increasing and the business is taking advantage of it.
One of the most important benefits to enjoy eCommerce merchants is now 24/7/365. Because they can run eCommerce websites all the time. In this way, they can increase their sales by increasing the number of orders. However, it is also beneficial for customers because they can buy any product, whenever they want, whether it is in the morning or midnight.
An e-commerce platform is a piece of software. That allows you to create an online store and run an online business. It gives you the tools to create and manage your site, including products and day-to-day tasks. Most of all e-commerce builders use drag and drop functions.
At the beginning of 2000, many people were skeptical about handing their card details online to the retailer. However, e-commerce transactions are now another nature. SSL Certificates, encryption and reliable external payment systems such as PayPal, WorldPay, and Skrill have helped improve the confidence of the people in e-commerce.
Which is the Best Ecommerce Platforms for Small Business?
There are many popular eCommerce platforms but here we define 7 Best eCommerce platforms for small business to use for online stores.
1. WooCommerce – Best Ecommerce Platform for Small Business
WooCommerce is open-source, which is a fully customizable eCommerce platform for entrepreneurs around the world. Build an online store with powerful storage that comes out of the box directly with the free WooCommerce plugin. WooCommerce is a WordPress plugin, so you have to install WordPress (open source) on your host. Then you must install the WooCommerce plugin on your site.
WooCommerce has attracted significant popularity. Because the base product is independent and open-source. In addition, WooCommerce has over 1,000+ plugins. Also, there are thousands of paid add-ons for fixed prices. Many premium themes now provide capabilities with WooCommerce as well as plugins that make up the theme framework compatible.
With Millions of downloads, WooCommerce powers more than 28% of all online stores. WooCommerce is now the most popular eCommerce platform on the website. So, be assured that you are in a good organization.
- The plugin is free to download and install. Many shops do not need anything more than the plugin.
- It connects to all major payment gateways. By default, you are given PayPal and Stripe, which are two of the most recognized gateways in the market. Moreover, you can accept payments via Amazon Pay, Google Pay, and Worldpay.
- With the WooCommerce theme, you’ll have to work hard beside adding content. You can acquire a theme from the official WooCommerce store.
- In addition, you can use third-party websites such as ThemeForest. Because It has the largest repository of WooCommerce themes on the market.
- WooCommerce is a very popular platform which means that great support is available.
- Good hosting of Woocommerce can be expensive.
- Troubleshooters have to deal with the defect game.
- You need more extensions for simple stuff.
2. Magento – Best Ecommerce Platforms for Small Business
Magento is an open-source eCommerce platform written in PHP. Its reliability and scalability have made it one of the most popular eCommerce platforms available today. Many prominent names like Burger King, Huawei, Pepe Jeans, and Liverpool FC websites have been created on Magento.
Magento is the most heavily used free eCommerce software used by more than 20,000 merchants worldwide. A paid tier is available for enterprise users, but software at a basic level is free for your use.
Do you want complete control over site design and functionality?
If the answer is a solid yes, therefore, Magento Open Source is the best eCommerce platform. It’s similar to WordPress, where the community is strong. So, you can choose from hundreds of thousands of themes, and there are lots of extensions to get your hands.
- It’s strong and strong rich and strong SEO.
- There are 1-click selling apps available.
- There are lots of users and communities in the eCommerce platform Magento.
- Magento is a scalable and highly customizable eCommerce platform.
- You want to host the software, from which it is flexible to choose from.
- It Provides Pricey Themes.
- For Magento’s eCommerce platform, you need development skills.
- There is virtually no support.
- Needing enough space and memory to perform well.
3. Prestashop – Best Ecommerce Platforms for Small Business
Established in 2007, PrestaShop is open-source. And also it is cloud-hosted eCommerce platforms that offer the best overall value. You can either download the software and fit it for your needs for free or go with PrestaShop Ready. Which is $24.90 per month and if you pay annually then there is a paid version of $19.90.
With the free downloadable version, you must pay for web hosting, SSL certificate, and other modules to complete your store. If you do not have heavy technical skills in HTML, CSS and/or PHP. Then you still have to pay a developer. Nevertheless, this allows wide integration with an open-code courier, payment gateway, accounting, warehouse, ERP, and more.
PrestaShop Ready is like another hosted platform. You have access to a 16-day trial or make a direct payment. As well as, it comes with SSL certificates.
- There are tons of apps available as well as strong SEO.
- However, It’s flexible and free.
- Here, options for both the self and the host.
- There are large and ready support communities.
- Prestashop apps can be expensive.
- Prestashop is Limited 3rd Party Automation Integration.
- Developer skills need to be tweaked.
- No Multichannel Functions on Hosted Version.
4. OpenCart – Best Ecommerce Platforms for Small Business
OpenCart is a complete eCommerce platform. So you can launch your online store, add/manage your products. Moreover, your customers use the shopping cart to buy them and then process their orders. Basically, OpenCart offers all the standard online store functionality you need.
OpenCart is PHP-based using a MySQL database and HTML components. Support is provided for different languages and currencies. It is freely available under the GNU(General Public License). If you know PHP and MySQL, it’s easy to develop extensions or customize OpenCart. To create a new extension, create four files: see the controller, model, and a language file.
OpenCart is an open-source eCommerce platform. This means that everything about the main OpenCart script is free. And you also have the permission to modify the platform, though you look fit. The interesting thing is that you get lifetime free support and free software updates too.
- OpenCart allows you to set advanced access to advanced user privileges and user groups and users.
- Get a complete overview of what’s important with total orders, sales, customers, people online, sales analytics and many more widgets.
- In addition, Manages multiple stores from an admin interface. Set the products to display in different stores. Choose a different theme for each store. Localize store settings. Set product prices per store.
- OpenCart comes with an inbuilt affiliate system, where affiliates can promote specific products and pay for them.
- OpenCart offers discounts, coupons, and specials to cover the most popular ways to attract attention and increase sales.
- In case of an emergency? OpenCart allows you to set up your own backup and restore it.
- It depends on the additional plugins for good performance.
- SEO not ready by default.
- There are customization options are few.
5. Shopify – Best Ecommerce Platforms for Small Business
Canadian-based eCommerce platforms. Shopify has been helping online businesses across the globe with a sharp focus on trending social commerce and mobile shopping. Founded in 2004, Shopify has always kept up with the pace of evolving eCommerce trends and technologies.
If you are looking for a platform that offers some of the most professional-looking themes. Then you should actually see Shopify. The truth is that there is no platform to offer a better theme than Shopify. More than 100 themes are available (both free and paid), all of them are quite modern. The designs available in Shopify are very impressive, modern-looking, and are capable of covering any niche or type of business. Also, you can customize and fine-tune the theme you choose until it looks as you wish.
- The Shopify theme is also very useful by store owners in real-world scenarios.
- Moreover, It has the Fastest Load Time as well as, Super Easy Set up.
- Here, 1-click on available apps.
- There are Lots of certified partners to help you
- Shopify allows multiple channels and social sales
- Bad evaluation in SEO in continuous studies.
- Unable to customize the checkout process.
- Advanced features require a developer.
- Shopify apps can be expensive.
In this paragraph, I’m going to discuss Bigcommerce. Firstly, It has the cleanest dashboard and clear instructions to get your online store within a few minutes. In fact, the dashboard looks surprisingly similar to Shopify, which involves accepting credit cards, optimizing your store, and more.
Secondly, since its inception, Bigcommerce has more than 55,000 online stores for its credit. Moreover, it is appreciated as one of the most prominent eCommerce software providers. From famous companies like Martha Stewart and Toyota to many SMEs, all company is using Bigcommerce platform. Because Bigcommerce has helped businesses of all sizes launch their online stores. For e-commerce stores, who lack basic coding skills, the vast list of BigCom’s built-in features is really quite easy.
- Moreover, It’s flexible and scalable. And it has strong SEO performance.
- However, it is a visual store builder and offers 24/7 live chat support.
- It accepts payments through Paypal, which is operated by Brentry, Stripe, Apple Pay, Payments with Amazon and other dozens.
- Ensure multilevel hosting security and DDOS security.
- Bigcommerce encourages return visits with email marketing.
- However, It has inconsistent loading speed.
- Pay more for high volume stores.
- Selling No 1-Click Here.
VirtueMart (formerly known as mambo-phpShop) is an open-source eCommerce platform designed as an extension of Mambo or Joomla! Content Management System (CMS) VirtueMart is written in PHP and requires a MySQL database environment for storage. It is best suited for low-level traffic websites. Both have been released under the GNU General Public License. This means that by the end, they are free to download and use.
All you have to do is to download the latest Joomla distribution from www.joomla.org and the Punarmart package from this site. Joomla offers core systems and frameworks that can use virtue. So you can easily use a full shopping cart solution within your own dynamic website. As well as many other plugins, such as components and modules, such as forums, FAQs, guestbooks, galleries…
- Easy to use for beginners and experts. It offers thousands of built-in features to make your store professional in a few minutes.
- It is very easy to enhance the functionality of VirtueMart by adding plugins, components, templates, and modules to your store.
- Joomla! There are more than 3500 extensions. So, Virtuemart will usually work with them originally.
- Automatic installation for both Joomla! Extensions and Virtuemart.
- Joomla! When it comes to this layout (Joomla! Templates) the platform offers a lot of options.
- The forum also offers more options for extensive content.
- The platform provides lots of extensions (non-web shop related) extensions.
- With Joomla! Forums and for example, JomSocial or Community Builder can build a community around a shop.
- With a major, the lack of VirtueMart is slow development and also (default) lack of advanced functionality.
- Very average invoices and inventory systems.
- A small community, fewer programmers, and less support on the forum.
- With a small team of programmers, the development of new functionality is slow.
So, which is the Best eCommerce Platforms for Small Business?
In conclusion, there is a need for extensive research to choose between eCommerce platforms. Based on the functionality of each platform, its set of services, charges, membership duration, strengths, and weaknesses is set. It depends on how you use it. For small and medium businesses, WooCommerce is the best eCommerce Platforms for Small Business, it’s easy to use. WooCommerce has a lot to offer by integrating with WordPress. If your business is medium enterprises we have 15 Best eCommerce CMS for online Business
Meet Delegate Studio, it is one of the platforms that provide the eCommerce Ready-Made Website. This is your partner so you can focus on your time and resources which are the most important.
A Ready-Made Website requires you to run every eCommerce website or any type of Website. Delegate Studio provides a Ready-Made Website with 24/7 support. Which includes a top-level domain, web-managed hosting, Website Builder, Jet Pack Plugins, ON Page SEO optimization. A Ready made Website will take you from one stage of growth to the next.