Have you experienced any nightmares? Something terrible happens to you and it seems impossible to recover. When the website you worked on for months is still not working, then you feel it. reason; It is no longer there. Perhaps it was hacked, the server crashed or something else caused your site to disappear into thin air. Now the only thing you can expect is that you have a backup of your site. It can happen to anyone, anytime. Be sensible; Always keep a backup of your site.
When you run a WordPress website, things can go wrong at any time. It is not a matter of whether things will go wrong, but when. Your website is always at risk of being attacked by malicious parties, however, things can also go wrong with day-to-day tasks such as updates to core WordPress files, themes, and plugins.
Creating a regular WordPress backup is the best thing you can do for any website and its security. When your website goes down your immediate priority is to restore your website and bring it back online. This is why backup is so important. By regularly backing up your WordPress database and files, you can restore your website if something goes wrong.
In this article, I would like to show you 11 backup plugins for WordPress.
Table of Contents
Why Backup WordPress Websites?
If your server crashes tomorrow, will you be able to recover every time? What if you lose all the work put into your WordPress website over the years?
If you know the answers to these questions, then you need a solution for your website. But before going into the details of WordPress, it is important to know the importance of backup for WordPress websites.
Regardless of your choice of WordPress version or hosting solution, it is important to backup website data. An active backup process on your website allows you to regenerate from an attack or accident without losing a lot of time.
Backup helps you recover websites without any hassle. However, it all depends on your backup process and more importantly, the frequency. If the backup frequency is set to one week, you will be able to recover the version you saved seven days ago. Thus, if your website sees changes repeatedly, you should consider setting a more realistic frequency to ensure that you can recover the most recent version.
How to backup the WordPress website?
There are two ways to backup WordPress websites: manually and automatically via backup plugins. Manually backing up your website requires technical knowledge, and the process is more likely to fail if you miss something. Thus using WordPress backup plugins is the best way to simplify the process.
Here, I have made a list of the top WordPress backups and restore plugins for your website. Some are free, and some require you to pay, but rest assured that your investment is worth it.
A list of the top WordPress restore and backups plugins for your website
- blogVault Real-time Backup
- The UpdraftPlus plugin
- WP Database Backup
- myRepono backup plugin
- XCloner backup plugin
1. BackupBuddy – Best WordPress Backup Plugins
BackupBuddy is a cost-effective premium backup plugin for WordPress that performs automatic backups and straight-forward website restores using its ImportBuddy tool. The plugin allows you to backup your WordPress database and files in many places. This includes email, FTP and sFTP, Amazon S3, Google Drive, Dropbox, and Rackspace Cloud and their own off-site backup service BackupBuddy Stash.
Another major benefit of using BackupBuddy is its license-based service. You get the license to use the plugin for the number of sites described in your plan. The license allows you to have forums for your backup, regular updates and more importantly, 1 GB of cloud storage.
- A good helper to guide you when setting up your first backup
- Email notifications of your backup status
- Ability to limit the size of your archives if you need to conserve disk space
- Integrated security analysis
- No free plan or trial period
- Slightly more expensive than the competition
Plugin rating: 3/5
Price: Starting from $80
2. Duplicator – Best WordPress Backup Plugins
Duplicator is a powerful back-up and migration plugin. The most downloaded WordPress backup plugins with over 1 million active installations. Not only it can be used for migration tasks at zero downtime. And this plug-in can easily manage backups. This plugin enables you to move or clone your WordPress data between domains or hosts. Duplicate is a popular plugin among the best back-up plugins, this plugin is free and is also available in premium versions.
This is a cloning tool that is most useful for migrating your website. With Duplicate, you can manually backup your website or parts of your site. You can send to Dropbox, FTP, Google Drive, OneDrive or Amazon S3. It provides customizable backup.
- Receive email alerts when a backup is created
- When you have a lot of backups, custom search and replace is terrible
- Multi-site supported
- This is one of the best backup plugins to support large sites
- The free version is extremely lightweight (with only features backup, directory filter, database table filter, and migration wizard)
- You do not get any customer support with the free version
- Both the free and premium versions require some technical knowledge, so it is not recommended for beginners
Plugin rating: 4.9/5
Price: Starting from $39
The BackUpWordPress plugin is one of our favorites for beginners, as the interface is easy to use, and it complements full site backups without much complexity. It is popular as the latter with over 200,000 establishments. It also uses a small amount of memory with its shared hosting environment.
BackUPWordPress is free to use WordPress plugin for WordPress websites. It was available as a free plugin with the necessary functions and required you to download paid add-ons to include additional features.
First and foremost, you can set up multiple schedules for backups, and also configure them to email you. On top of that, there is an option to use mysqldump for faster backup. In general, backups made with plugins consume shallow memory.
- You don’t have to argue between free and premium plugins, because it’s all free.
- Manage multiple backup schedules
- Faster backup processes available with ZIP files
- There are about 12 translations available for English speakers.
- Backup files can be emailed to you
- Backup files at places like Dropbox, Google Drive, Amazon S3, Rackspace, Azure, DreamObjects and FTP / LT.
- Since everything on your site is back up, we have seen that backup files can be large
- Restoring a backup takes a little bit of technical knowledge, so beginners can get some help if needed.
BackWPup is much easier to use backup plugins for WordPress. It is a great plugin, it doesn’t complicate things with too many options. You just install it on your website, set it up, and go stress-free because it will automatically handle everything else. This will save your entire installation with / wp-content / and keep it in an external backup service to protect it. Each backup is created in a single .zip file. This makes it super simple when you want to reinstall your WP installation.
The plugin allows you to upload backups for storage services in the cloud such as Google Drive, Amazon S3, Dropbox, SugarSync, RackSpaceCloud, Microsoft Azure, etc. Some of the features you get with this WordPress backup plugin include database backup, WordPress XML exports, database optimization, the option to check and repair databases, file backups and more. These are all available with the free version. There is also a Pro version with which you get advanced options such as encrypted backup archives, support for more secure cloud storage services, and so on.
- Backup for places like Dropbox, FTP, Microsoft Azure, S3 and more
- You get a list of all installed plugins to see how they affect your system.
- You get multi-site support
- A built-in assistant is there to schedule backups for you
- This is a full site backup with email reports
- They clearly say that you did not get much support with the free version
- There is no facility to restore a backup
- Server load can sometimes be heavy
- If something goes wrong, troubleshooting is very technical
- Google Drive backup only comes in the paid version
Plugin rating: 4/5
Price: Free and starting at $52.50 per year
VaultPress WordPress backup is also a security plugin. With plugins installed on your WordPress website, you will get the benefit of real-time backup and security scanning services. This can protect your site from hackers, hosting failures, viruses, user errors, malware, and even exploitation. The plugin is powered by Jetpack which allows you to easily back up your posts, comments, media files, modifications, dashboard settings, and more. All backups are securely tucked into the company’s servers.
VaultPress is one of the more impressive premium options because it uses daily and real-time syncing of your entire WordPress site to help you relax. The interface looks clean, with tabs for items such as backup, security, statistics, activity, and settings. It has been there for a long time. Seamless working and focused approach seem to entice WordPress users. This completes the backup of your data in a secure environment, to perfection.
- Simple interface
- Developers: Automatic
- Browse all your previous backups
- Restore a backup with a simple click of a button
- Notifications are sent to you for possible security issues
- Manage multi-site backups in one place
- The premium (more expensive) version required for malware scanning
- Premium version is also required for automated threat resolution
- Larger sites require several hours to backup
Price: From $39 per year for JetPack Personal plan
6. blogVault Real-time Backup
BlogVault is one of the most trusted backup plugins in the WordPress market. After installing and activating the plugin, it will automatically start taking an incremental database and file backup. All backup files are then stored on BlogVault Server and Amazon S3.
The backup plugin for WordPress is also suitable for backing up for your WooCommerce enabled online store. In addition, if this is enough, the plugin will also help by providing malware scanning and malware removal services. Also, it is in this context that it is worth noting that BlogVault is a free plugin. Other well-known use cases of the plugin will help you with site migration, dedicated staging, site copying, and so on. For restores and migration purposes, the plugin uses FTP, SFTP, or FTPS.
The plugin is pre-installed on approximately 20,000+ sites and the WordPress plugin repository has a 4.3 rating. BlogVault provides one of the most robust WordPress backup solutions available. With features such as automated incremental backup and even automatic restore in case of hacking, it is the solution to turn to business continuity and peace of mind.
- It includes multi-desired real-time backup facility
- The security scanning feature is an additional advantage
- Easy migration and reinstallation complete via the WordPress dashboard
- Offsite backups can still be managed at your end
- Multi-site supported
- While other plugins provide additional features, VaultPress is only concerned with backup and security
- There isn’t really a decent free plan (they do one marketing with weekly backups, but it’s super burnt down)
- The only alternative backup solution is via Dropbox
Plugin rating: 4.3/5
Price: Starting from $9 per month
7. UpdraftPlus Plugin
UpdateraftPlus is a popular and free WordPress plugin. With this plugin, you can create a complete backup of your site to store on your computer, or through cloud storage like Dropbox, Google Drive, Amazon S3, Rackspace and the like. You have the ability to create scheduled backups or on-demand backups with this plugin.
It is the most popular free WordPress backup plugin available on the Internet. It is used by over 2 million websites. UpdateraftPlus plugin supports scheduled backups as well as on-demand backups. You also have the option to choose which file you want to back up. In addition to backing up each WordPress website, UpdateCraftPlus also allows you to easily restore backups directly from your WordPress admin panel.
However, if you choose to go premium, you will get advanced functions such as easy site duplication or migration with migrator. You can configure the plugin to back up non-WP files in the database on multiple remote destinations. In addition, best of all, you get dedicated expert help to guide you through times of crisis.
- A multi-site premium version is provided
- The hosted dashboard is amazing for managing your backups
- You can migrate backup files from other plugins previously used
- Larger sites can be divided into multiple archives.
- Choose which components of your site to backup and restore
- Automatic backup available using scheduled backup service
- Consumes less memory during use
- To access important functions like cloning and migration, multisite support with a paid version, encrypting database, etc. are available
Plugin rating: 4.9 out of the 5-star rating
Price: Free and starting at $70 for the premium version
8. WP Database Backup
WP Database Backup is another WordPress database backup tool. It has been developed by Pacific Walk. It has more than 60,000 active establishments. The plugin has backup scheduling, one-click backup restore, and the option to store backups via FTP and SFTP or by direct download via Google Drive, Amazon S3, and Dropbox.
You can download a backup file directly from your WordPress dashboard. The plugin is easy to install. There are some things to configure that take less than a minute. You can easily restore a database backup with one click. You can receive the report by email.
Backups can be processed every hour, 12 hours, daily, weekly or monthly. You can also exclude database tables, however, you will need to upgrade to the Pro version of the plugin to exclude website files.
- Many languages supported
- Simple interface
- Advanced configuration options for experts
- Premium version is very cheap
- Restore your backup with one click
- Minimum support
- In which Multi-site compatibility is only available in the paid version
- Backups take too long with large sites
Price: Free and $22 for the premium version
9. XCloner backup plugin
XCloner backup plugin is a full management plugin for WordPress. It is a backup and restores component designed for PHP and MySQL with over 300,000 downloads. The important feature of the plugin includes the option to create custom backups of any WordPress website using custom admin input. It also comes with its own automatic restore script that you can use to restore the backup to any location. All backups are created using open source standards such as TAR, MySQL and CSV formats.
The XCloner Backup plugin has a more technical build, with backups and restores built-in features. It uses a custom script that should be implemented when you need a restore, and many formats and standards are used, so you have several ways to complete the backup.
- Take a backup and move it to a completely new location
- The plugin works to reinstall PHP / Mysql applications
- Share with custom backup customers
- You will not get any support until you pay for it
- There is absolutely no way to restore the script for beginners
WP Database Backup is a free WordPress database plugin. With this plugin, you can create and recover backups in one click. The plugin is easy to use, as expected, and you won’t have any issues handling your database backup. However, the interface is a bit heavy, and not exactly beginner as it displays all database tables at once.
You can also include yourself by manually including or excluding other tables. After the tables are selected, you will get the option to download the backup files or email it to the configured email address.
It is a top-rated solution, with over 300k active installations and excellent user ratings. WP-DB-Backup is updated frequently, and the code is available on GitHub. In addition, it is available in 14 languages, which makes it very adaptable.
- Translation files are provided
- The plugin is easy without tons of super crazy features you can never use.
- Checks your WordPress database for corrupt files, and repairs them
- Plugin confuses dashboard for starters
- Pro version supports the required features
Plugin rating: 4.6/5
11. myRepono backup plugin
The MyRepono plugin is a lesser-known backup plugin, but due to the pricing structure, we would like to mention. Basically, developers don’t believe in charging for people they don’t use, so they have a system set where you pay a fixed amount per GB used per day. For example, if you would use under 1 GBM you would pay $ 0.02 per GB per day for data storage and $ 0.20 per 1 GB for data transfer.
myRepono is an automated website backup solution for any website and blog. It also provides an easy-to-setup WordPress plugin that automates the myRepono API set-up process, allowing you to set up automatic WordPress backups in a matter of minutes. You can easily back up all files and databases. A free trial is also available and you can also choose whether you want to pay a minimum top-up of $ 5 USD.
- The pricing structure can be beneficial if you do not use much storage space
- Backups are compressed to very small sizes
- Backup an unlimited number of websites
- Restore files based on what is required
- Backup individual files or complete folders
- We do not have extensive experience testing the plugin, nor do many others. Therefore, it is unclear how well it works.
Price: It depends on how much storage space is used
So these were our pics for the top and best WordPress backup plugins. Do you know if that helped you read? Also, don’t forget this for your friends and colleagues who are running their WordPress website without any backup measures. Also, if you have used any of the plugins mentioned by us in the list, write about your experience using it in the comments section below.
If you have built your website using WordPress, then one of the 11 WordPress backup tools to protect your blog and site should be assured. If the Site is not created using WordPress then why he is looking for a ready-made WordPress website. Then you must go for Ready-Made WordPress Website powered by Delegate Studio. ReadyMade Website includes Top-level Domain, Managed Hosting, SSL certificate, Website Builder, On-Page SEO, and 24/7 Support.